2022 Summer Institute on Educating for Informed and Equitable Voting
A 4-Day Summer Institute
June 27-30 OR July 11-14
9am- Noon PT / Noon - 3pm ET
This professional development institute prepares educators to teach about the upcoming election and to support their colleagues' efforts to foster informed and equitable voting among students and their community.
This institute is being co-hosted by the premier research centers on K-12 civic learning in the United States: the Civic Engagement Research Group (CERG) at the University of California Riverside; and CIRCLE, part of Tufts University’s Tisch College for Civic Life.
This institute focuses on the role that schools and teachers play across grade levels and content areas to:
- Carry out non-partisan teaching for informed and equitable voting using student-centered and culturally responsive best practices
- Promote teaching for informed and equitable voting among other educators in their community
- Learn about what motivates young people to vote and effective strategies for preparing youth to participate in democracy
- Participate in an interactive 4-day institute for 3 hours each day, plus follow-up peer review and peer support sessions
- Complete asynchronous, independent work for one hour each day
- Construct a plan for working with other educators in your school community during the 2022 election cycle
- Participate in a peer review of other participants' local plans and share yours
- Implement your local plan with other educators during the 2022 election cycle
- Reflect on your successes and challenges after the election
This institute will be offered virtually. Participants will have the option to earn 2 CEU or graduate credits from the University of California, Riverside Extension. Fill out the form below to receive more information.