2022 Summer Institute on Educating for Informed and Equitable Voting
A 4-Day Summer Institute
June 27-30 OR July 11-14
9am- Noon PT / Noon - 3pm ET
Thanks for your interest in our professional development institute for educators to teach about the upcoming election and to support their colleagues' efforts to foster informed and equitable voting among students and their community. The institute was co-hosted by the premier research centers on K-12 civic learning in the United States: the Civic Engagement Research Group (CERG) at the University of California Riverside; and CIRCLE, part of Tufts University’s Tisch College for Civic Life.
Both institute dates have now passed, but you can read more about it below. If you're interested in connecting with CIRCLE experts about this topic, please email email@example.com.
This institute focused on the role that schools and teachers play across grade levels and content areas to:
- Carry out non-partisan teaching for informed and equitable voting using student-centered and culturally responsive best practices
- Promote teaching for informed and equitable voting among other educators in their community
- Learn about what motivates young people to vote and effective strategies for preparing youth to participate in democracy
- Participate in an interactive 4-day institute for 3 hours each day, plus follow-up peer review and peer support sessions
- Complete asynchronous, independent work for one hour each day
- Construct a plan for working with other educators in your school community during the 2022 election cycle
- Participate in a peer review of other participants' local plans and share yours
- Implement your local plan with other educators during the 2022 election cycle
- Reflect on your successes and challenges after the election